New York Style Hot Dog Recipe
When arriving in New York for the first time after a taxi ride across Queensboro Bridge. Top of the food experience list must be the classic New York hot dog.
This New York style hot dog recipe consists of caramelized shallots, bacon, topped with tomato ketchup and fiery mustard.
How to Make a New York Style Hot Dog
Preparing the shallots
Shallots are sweeter than onions with less fiery heat, ideal for this recipe as we’ll be adding extra heat later with the mustard sauce we’re going to make.
Cut 2 shallots finely, then add 2 Tbsp of oil to a medium hot pan. Once the oil is sizzling, add the sliced shallots for around 5 minutes until golden brown.
Adding some brown sugar half way through to caramelize the shallots even further. With the shallots now cooked, place aside on some kitchen towel to drain off any excess oil.
Preparing the hot dogs
For my dogs I’ve used large smoked frankfurters. First of all, coat the dogs in oil and then place on a low heated pan, a griddle pan is ideal, you can use an ordinary pan if you don’t have one to hand.
They take around 5 minutes to cook through, keep turning the dogs over using some tongs while cooking in the pan.
With the dogs now cooked, use the same pan to cook 2 slices of bacon until crispy.
Preparing the mustard
It’s all about the mustard here. I’m using French’s Classic Yellow mustard on my dogs.
You can use any mustard you like, you will miss out a little of that classic NY flavor without it.
If you don’t have any French’s pick up a bottle next time you’re at the grocery store, it just has to be Classic Yellow mustard for hot dogs.
Squirt around 200 grams of mustard into a small dish or ramekin, then add a Tsp each of paprika and chilli flakes. Mix together well.
Scoop the mustard mix into an empty squeezy bottle ready to wiggle the sauce over the hot dogs.
Assembling Your Hot Dogs
Cut a torpedo white roll down the middle stopping half way. Place the cooked hot dog between the bread slice.
Break into small pieces the cooked crispy bacon and add to the dried cooked shallots. Now sprinkle on top of the breaded hot dog.
Squirt some tomato ketchup with a wiggle along the length of the shallot and bacon topping.
Do the same with our fiery mustard mix we made earlier.
There you have it, a classic New York style hot dog a Manhattan yellow cabbie would be proud of…TAXI.!
Check out The Food Busker in the video below to watch how to make this classic NY hot dog.
New York Style Hot Dog
- White torpedo shape roll
- Large smoked frankfurter
- 2 x medium size shallots
- 2 slices of bacon
- 4 – 6 Tbsp Cooking oil
- French’s Classic Yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- Tomato ketchup
- Slice the shallots finely
- Place shallots into medium hot oil in a pan
- Cook shallots for around 5 minutes until golden brown
- Drain excess oil from shallots using kitchen roll
- Coat frankfurters with oil
- Place coated frankfurters in a low heat pan
- Cook frankfurters for around 5 mountes until cooked through
- Cook bacon in pan
- Cut cooked bacon into small pieces and mix with cooked shallots
- Slice bread roll long ways – half cut through
- Place cooked hot dog in bread slice
- Top hot dog with shallot and bacon bits
- Mix 200 grams of mustard, chilli flakes and paprika together
- Scoop mustard mix into squeezy bottle
- Squeeze mustard over shallot and bacon topping
- Squeeze ketchup on top to finish